Dive London - 2022 Reflection
The 2021-2022 season saw Dive London crowned as one of the top diving clubs, not only in the UK but around the world, with it's outstanding results. From the youngest divers, at just 7 years old, the club saw success at every level of diving through to our senior and international divers on the World stage.
Here are the medals the club won;
- 25 Masters medals
- 66 British medals
- 15 European medals
- 9 Commonwealth Games medals
- 8 World Championship medals
These results are phenomenal given the difficult circumstances that the club and programme were experiencing. Sadly Dive London lost David Jenkins (Programme Lead Coach) in October 2021 who passed away unexpectedly. During this difficult time the divers and coaches have shown true resilience, drive and determination to succeed that has led to the most successful competitive season to date for the club. All of the coaching team throughout the diving programme are to be congratulated for their part in holding the fort and continuing to strive for excellence.
This includes our Tom Daley Diving Academy coaches who are producing a lessons programme that is still the largest in the country (635 members) despite lockdown set backs. We are set to increase participant numbers and improve the quality of delivery with a new lessons stucture which will be ready to roll out at Easter 2023.
- Andrea Spendolini-Sirieix won gold at Commonwealth Games, Senior European Championships, Junior World Championships and was named as the National Lottery's Athlete of the year.
- Kirsteen Mitchell and Stephen Hewat joined the coaching set ups with GLL and British Diving respectively in late 2022.
- Ex international diver for Dive London and now coach, Georgia Ward will be leaving us to pursue her career as a nursery teacher.
London Legacy Open
2022 also saw the amazing event that was the first ever London Legacy Open in memory of David Jenkins. This was an elite level competition that saw 107 divers from around the UK as well as teams from France, Norway and Sweden compete in a 3 day event. The event saw over 25 new volunteers giving up their time to support the diving programme and allow the event to run. Dive London were crowned champions!
We look forward to an exciting and action-packed 2023!